I normally like to write about a specfic event of importance in these blogs and keep it from being a travel log, but so much has happened that I am afraid it will turn into just that.
This past week was the first week of the new fall semester at BYU. It was the longest week of my life. I can't beleive it has only been a week! its feels like I've been here for an eternity! Not that it is a bad thing, but I have gotten so much school work to do this past week and even though I was busy EVERYDAY, the week still seemed to just inch along!
I like all my classes, at least as much as you can like general ed classes, there really isn't anything too special or stand outish about any of them. However, my physical science teacher is Catholic, werid huh! You could almost feel the uncertanity in the air when the professor anounced it. She said "I'm Roman Catholic!" and you could hear fidgeting and nervousness. In my mind, scenes from "Angels and Demons" where the Catholics hide up science and claim it as heracy popped in! I also have a swimming class. For the first day we had a pretty easy workout, but I havn't gone swimming in months and so that workout was actually pretty killer! My arms are still a little sore!
I wish I could go into details with all these events I'm about to describe but it would just take to long!
Everyday this week I sat at a "kissing booth" for Mr.BYU. We would give guys a hershey kiss if they signed up for an audition. It got to be pretty boring and we would get maybe 7 guys to sign up in one day. So out of the 5 hours we had the booth researved for, we would get maybe 7 a day. To keep myself entertained I would creep people out. I don't think I realized what I was doing because I was driven to it due by my bordom! If I ever saw a girl reading the kissing booth sign I would smile, or make a kissy face or sometimes make smootching noises. My pinacle creep event was when a guy came up and said "whoa, kissing booth?! whats this all about!?" and I said, "How bout I give you kiss first then we talk." His face turned from genuine curiosity to a face of "what the heck?!" but we both laughed it off cause thankfully he could tell that I was joking and I went ahead and described what Mr.BYU was but I don't think he signed up.
I tried out for the BYU folk dance club and I had a blast at the auditions! We learned 3 folk dances: Irish, Ukrainian, and Indian(dot, not feather). I thought it was fun and I did it just to try something new but as the auditions continued I found myself getting more and more competetive, always trying to do better than the guy next to me. So really, making the team was a matter of my pride at this point. I REALLY wanted to get into the club, not to be on it, but because I wanted to win! Actually, after how fun the try-outs were, I did want to be on the team. I ended up being an alternate. About 100 guys tried out but they only had 40 spots availiable. I was in the top 50 so I got chosen as an alternate. They said they would call if something turned up and I was really crossing my fingers that someone would drop out! On friday, the try outs were on wednesday, I got a call from them and they asked me if I was still willing to be in the club! of course I was still willing! I am so stoked about it! Because I am now a part of the BYU folk dance club, I will be in the Homecoming parade and at Christmas time, I'll get to be in a huge performance for 1000+ people, its a little intimidating actually!
This Saturday has been such a great one!
In the morning, I helped set up for my Ward's "hall-gate" party and then at noonish the actual event started. It's a real bummer having a ratio of two guys to one girl in my ward. When the girls were helping us set up, one guy room and one girl room helped set up, we got some fun time with the girls but once all the guys came out for the event, every girl was surrounded by a couple of dudes. I guess I'm just not that aggressive when it comes to girls so I just hung out with my roommates. After about two hours I went over to go help out with Mr.BYU auditions. We held them Friday afternoon and evening and Saturday's earlier afternoon. We say some great talent. I am so glad I don't have to make the cut on the guys. We can only have 10 but all the guys that audition are so great! There is sooooooo much talent at BYU. I really have to step up my game and learn some new skills and improve the ones I have now if I'm gonna keep up with the BYU social scene!
After the auditions were over I went home and got ready for the football game, like I stated on my facebook page; watching my first BYU football ticket print out is like watching my first child being born, I was filled with indescribable joy!
That could basically sum up my emotions toward that game! It was a home game against Washington. It was a close game but that's what made it so good! We were all on the edge the whole time! BYU is working a duel QB system right now but I think I like Riley Nelson more than Jake Heaps. Whenever Heaps threw the ball I would get nervous. He just made me nervous, he is still an amazing QB, but I felt better with Nelson out.
The football game ended with a W for BYU. It was my first live BYU game and I had a BLAST! I LOVE IT! Man, I don't think it's gonna be an easy transition back to TV games! At half time, Coach Levell Edwards and the 8 BYU All-American QB were announced to the crowd. Apparently, this was the first time in awhile that all 8 of them and Coach were together. The only problem was that one of those All-American QBs is the Coach for Washington! When they called his name, some boo'd, but most gave a courtesy clap because deep down he is still a Cougar. I clapped and cheered for him.
Once the game ended, my friend Conner and I walked over to the Tanner building to watch Divine Comedy. DC is HILARIOUS! We were laughing for the entire 2 hour show! It was soooo funny, and so much fun, plus, two really cute girls sat next to me. At the DC shows they throuh glow sticks braclets and necklaces out to the audience. I caught a handfull but the cute girls didn't have any, so of course, I shared the wealth! I had the bracelet and I asked the one sitting directly next to me and help me attach the bracelet to my wrist. I didn't really need help, but i got to talk to her for a second and our hands touched! tee-hee!
Well there is my travel log for the week! I'll try to be better to keep this updated so I don't have to resort to long day by day journal entries!
You totally had a full day on Saturday! A great football game followed by DC. Nice! Very Cool about the folk dancing club. I remember seeing them in the Homecoming Parade last year. It was very cool! Have a great second week. Luv You-Dad
ReplyDeleteHAHAHA! I LOVED your "tee hee" at the end! Lucky girls! and btw...jason....really? you have major skills in many things! keep being who you are! thanks for blogging..and creeping people out at the booth. I think us BYU students need a few ripples in our pong once in a while. :)
ReplyDeleteoh ...and CONGRATS on the folk dancing club! that's awesome Jason! I can't wait to see you dance! whoot whoot!
ReplyDelete