Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Quack

Today marks the third day of me being a student at BYU! yay! It has come with mixed emotions but most of them are good! First off, I really miss being at home with my family and seeing all my friends. Being at college is nice, but being at home is a bit nicer. My classes are are pretty good. I have two, Soc111 and Math110. I was in Calc112 but it was too much for me to handle. But after being in Math110 I'm not so sure I can handle that one either! The work isn't too hard, its just that I don't get what the teachers is saying half the time! He goes off on tangents but its still related to math so I'm not sure if I should write it down or if he is just babbling! Eh, we'll see how it goes. The guy that sat next to me today said it was his second time taking the class, that was real comforting for a first day! My sociology class is pretty chill and there are a lot of freshmen in it. I thought it was funny though, in class we were talking about things that make up a society and some how we got on the topic of black people. I looked around and there were only white kids from Utah in my class! Mayne! WhAtChYaLl KNaW BoUT U$ N******?!
Just kidding...Ahem...So Class is good and having my dad with me the first two days made the transition much better. I am so lucky he was with me. I feel bad for the kids that come out here without a parent or someone. That would be really rough, my hat is off to them.
*RANDOM*
I saw some ducklings today, they were so cute!
I hear from it seems millions of people that there is always something to do each night at BYU...WHERE!??! there is nothing to do! That's why I'm writing this blog!

Dorm life is pretty good and I really like all my roommates. I have yet to do anything with my ward so hopefully the bishopbric will think I'm inactive! That would be really funny!

Most of the kids in my classes are from Utah, Utah kids are soooo weird! The whole Utah Mormon Culture is so strange! Also, I'm not so sure I like having my teachers as members of the church, I feel that the everything is biased!

My first "bit" of homework took me about 5 hours to accomplish. I knew it would take hard work in college but I don't know how much more of this I can take! I hope it will all get better from here or at least I will adapt to it all.

I hope I don't come off as complaining too much, I really am grateful to be out here in college. I guess I just need to figure out how to get in the groove of things. I've had fun being on my own this week, but all in all, I think I'm ready to go home.

2 comments:

  1. YAY! I CAN POST A COMMENT!

    Don't worry little/tall brother...you can do it!!! It's quite the change, isn't it? good luck with that Math 110 stuff...i didn't like that class much. Do you know if your teacher is actually a faculty member, or a grad student? I had a grad student teach my class...and it was confusing. good luck!!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't get too discouraged. My calc class was at 8 am (just because you do early morning seminary doesn't mean you can do 8 am classes as easily) . . . I fell asleep most classes, especially since the teacher spoke like the teacher from Farris Buellers' Day Off ("Bueller . . . .Bueller . . . "). But I ended up doing pretty well (thanks to many hours in the math lab, a lot of IM-ing with a friend who was really good at math, and plenty of practice). And the homework, well, let's just say some days I would get out of class at noon and do homework until 11 pm (BYU Accounting Junior Core). Other classes (Econ 110, American Heritage) are just hard and nobody does well. So, stick with it and don't get too discouraged!

    All that being said - BYU rocks! The first little while is rough. Usually, the ward gets together the first week and people do some really fun stuff. Nerdy stuff, but fun stuff. Night life at BYU . . . uhm, there isn't much, sorry about that. If you come to SDSU, there are plenty of bars and night clubs all over the place! All said, I would take BYU over SDSU any day.

    ReplyDelete