Saturday, June 26, 2010

"Y?" "Y not?"

So I'm not gonna lie, I've been really homesick today. And this is my room.
I woke up feeling kinda upset for some reason (probably woke up on the wrong side of the bed, or perhaps because my feet were freezing because they were sticking out of the covers and dangling about a foot off the bed). I did my home work for the day and took care of all that college junk that you have to do when your in school. In sociology we just talked about random stuff so I went on ESPN and watched the end of the Spain and Chile game. My math 110 class wasn't happening for some reason so I went to the RB so I could swim some laps. Open swim wasn't for another hour so I just rode my bike home. When I got home I met with some kids from my ward and we hiked up to the famous 'Y' hovering over all of Provo. I don't know why but I just didn't feel all that social on the hike. I didn't want to make friends! This behavior is odd for me and I'm not sure what came over me. I really only spoke when I was spoken too. When we got to the top we all became quiet as we looked over Provo with the sun setting and I couldn't help but think about how foreign this new land looked. Where the heck am I!? I'm definitely not in Kansas anymore! Maybe I didn't want to be social because all the girls there were really strange.

I'm not so sure I like being around so many members of the Church. Back in Virginia, I was different because I chose the better path, because I loved Disney movies, and because I liked and used cheesy pick up lines. But here, in Utah, I'm just another do-gooder. In sociology we have been talking about finding our social identity and I knew who I was back in virginia but I'm not so sure where I fit in with a campus of people who think just like me! The song "Strange Things" from Toy story comes to mind with all this:

I had friends, I had lots of friends
Now all my friends are gone
And I'm doing the best I can to carry on

I had power (power)
I was respected (respect)
But not any more
And I've lost the love to the one whom I adored

Let me tell you about the strange things are happening to me
Strange things
Strange things are happening to me...
Ain't no doubt about it


Again, where is all the fun stuff happening around campus?! How is BYU fun!?! I mean, I've been hanging out with my roommates a lot and I really like them but it seems that every activity is just EFY kids messing around!

But back to me being homesick. I guess it actually started when I was up on the Y thinking about where I was. I got "home" and I saw a video message on Facebook from two friends(Jonathan Litalian and Amy Green) and their video was just 48 seconds and it was them saying that they missed me. It was really nice. My roommate called me and said some people were all bowing because it was only a buck a game. So I get down there and I totally became the 5th wheel(two guys with girls and then me). It was kinda dumb. I texted our other roommate and he came down so now at least it wasn't so awkward because we had an even number. But at the Bowling Ally they were playing "The Killers". Now, I LOVE the Killers, and the CD they were playing was my "Ticket to Ride Music." Every time I would play my mom or my sister, or both, in T2R, I would turn on the Killers most recent CD and jam while I smoked my mom and sister in some transcontinental railroading. But that really made me think of home so I got even more homesick. So I ate some oreos, a whole sleeve to be exact. I didn't even realize I had eaten so many until the entire sleeve was gone. But don' worry, I still have 9 more sleeves of oreos =D

2 comments:

  1. Hang in there Jason! It's only the first week! In a few weeks, you'll look back and think, "what was I thinking!? This place rocks!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and yes, most activities are pretty much just EFY kids messing around, at least for the first year or so.

    ReplyDelete