Sunday, April 11, 2010

The bear went over the mountain

I had a good spring break. It wasn't too busy and it wasn't too relaxed. Everyday had a certain purpose and I enjoyed all of it. I would give a day to day update but I can't remember what happened day by day. So I guess I will give highlights (in no order of importance)

#1- I have a prom date!
I asked a girl to prom about 2 weeks ago by making a candy-gram(using candy to substitute for words) and she finally got back to me! I must admit, a candy-gram isn't all that original of an idea but the message was original so I guess it is all good. In my message, the last line was: "Please be creative and quick to holler, by the way, here is your dollar(payday)" The dollar part is an inside joke. But I say she finally got back to me because she was being creative with her response. It ended up being a scavenger hunt that lead me to places where we had hung out or done something fun. I got a little frustrated because she had me do it during rush hour traffic, in northern Virginia I might add, so I was sitting in my car for at least and hour and a half just trying to get to the next clue! The first place was at the stake center because we had always seen eachother there for church dances. The second location was "Carl's Ice Cream." This ice cream joint was the usual hang out spot after church dances. The third spot was at a McDonald's. We met at this particular McD's in the summer to deliver jello to another friend who just got his wisdom teeth out. The next spot was at the local pool. We both swim for our school's swim team(she goes to a different school) and we had a friendly ongoing rivalry throughout the season. Her team beat mine in the season but my team beat them in districts(which is more important! =p) The final clue said to meet at the place where we first hung out, and my mind shot a blank. I honestly could not remember where the first place we had hung out was! The rest of the clue said something about it being in a loud area so I thought of a football game or something but I thought about it and I finally remembered! The bowling ally! And sure enough a giant Y(which stood for "yes") was at the bowling ally! Yay! I have prom date! =]
#2 FIRE!
The scouts came over to our house for a fire activity. The purpose of this gathering was to teach the boys how to make a fire without using matches. Being an Eagle Scout, I wanted to try the hardest possible way to start a fire. I attempted to make a fire using a bow drill. This process requires a person to make a bow with a stick intertwined in the rope. One pulls and pushes this bow and it spins the stick creating friction. The friction heats up the tinder and causes it to spark and vuala! A fire! I really wish it was that easy! I worked on the bow alone for about an hour just trying to get the stick to stay put while I pushed and pulled the bow! I tried to apply my knowledge of physics to make the bow more effective(my results did make it more effective) but unless your bow is perfect it isn't going to work. That night I worked on it for 2 hours and the next morning I worked on it for another 2 hours. I vow that someday I will start a fire using a bow drill! MARK MY WORDS FIRE GODS! I WILL GET YOU!

#3Ultimate, more fire, and a hot tube
I played Ultimate frisbee with some friends and my team totally spanked the other team. We were merciless. Actually, the score was pretty even up until after we returned from our "half time" recess. After we returned is when my team pulled it together and whooped up on the other team. After Ultimate my buddies and I all met at my house and we made a fire in our new fire pit. I made a dang good fire but then it started to down pour. It was nice to have such a good fire because after so much failure with the bow drill I really needed some success. I sorta got success because the rain cut my time with the fire short. We ended up going in our basement and we played pictionary on our whiteboard on the wall and then we played catchphrase all the while eating chips and salsa. It was a fun night. Oh yea, and we got a hot tub, but I'm not much of a hot tubber, I'm a swimmer not a lounge in water-er!

#4 Classic Rock and Camping
My dad and I decided that we wanted to go camping so on Friday we packed our packs, grabbed Cameron, and headed out to the Shenandoahs for an adventure! On the drive up we blasted some of my classic rock cassette tapes, I think we all enjoyed that, well, Cameron probably didn't. At our camp ground we set up pretty quickly but we were a little surprised at how cold it was! It was freezing! Well, the temperature was very nice, but the wind was extremely strong making it feel like it was way colder than it really was!
The night was kinda rough because I was sleeping next to my dad whose snores are comparable to a fog horn on the fritz and the wind would rattle the tent.
But it is all good, the next day we hiked the "old rag trail." Correction, I hiked the old rag trail. Cameron and my dad worked on the camping merit badge while I tackled the hike alone.
Doing a hike alone has a lot of benefits because you are secluded in nature and you can appreciate where you are much better than if you are in a noisy group. However, it is much safer to hike with a buddy. At the summit area, there are a ton of rocks that you have to scale in order to continue up the trail. This was my favorite part! I ended up straying a little bit off the trail so my climb up was harder than it should have been, but I had way more fun because of it! On one of the rocks I had to go up, I literally had to jump up, find a hand hole, and do a pull up to get myself up! The best part was getting back to the regular trail. I was off to the side so I took take a few steps back, started to run, and leaped as hard as a I could to get to the main rock that lead to the trail. I was kinda nervous but it was such a thrill once I jumped! After that mini-adventure, I figured it was in my best interest(mostly for safety reasons) to find a hiking buddy. I saw a group ahead of me and pretty much joined them. It was kinda nice to have company. As we continued up the mountain I saw a friend from another ward in the stake and so I left my new friends and finished climbing up to the summit with her and her sister.
(this is me at the summit)
My trek back down was much easier but I came across this strange port-a-potty. It is one of those hippy kind of toilets where the crap gets reused for plants and what not.
That isn't what you're thinking it is, the green bucket is filled with mulch.

Now that spring break is over I REALLY wish I was out of school. I don't think I can express it in words how much I want to be done with school!

Well that was spring break 2010!

No comments:

Post a Comment