I was asked to share a spiritual experience I had from this past semester at school in Sacrament meeting, but Church was canceled due to snow. So I posted what I was going to say here on my Blog! It's not very long because it was only supposed to take up 2-3 minutes.
At school I learned a lot. I learned about the duality of matter, and quarks and totally bizarre theories about relativity. I learned how to analyze artwork and after this past semester I can say that I can dance a pretty mean polka. All of these things are great, but I also learned things on the spiritual level, but specifically prayer. Although prayer is a pretty simple concept, I learned there is much more to it than closing your eyes and bowing your head. Doctrine and Covenants 82:10 states "I, the Lord, am bound when ye do what I say; but when ye do not what I say, ye have no promise.” At school I learned how this scripture applied to my goals. If I studied hard, I could call upon the Lord for the help I needed. I took a math class this past semester and the entire semester I was flirting with the pass/fail line. It got to the point where one final test would determine whether or not I passed the class. I started studying a week in advance for this test and on the day of the test I studied for 4 hours before I took it. I got to the testing center, pretty confidently (I had spent countless hours going over the material), got my test, found a seat, took out a #2 pencil and finally looked at the test. I wanted to cry. I looked at it and literally thought I had gotten the wrong packet. This wasn’t math, this was Egyptian. At the top of the packet listed the course name and the professor so I was really out of luck. At this point, the only thing I could do was pray. So I prayed and prayed hard. I wasn’t asking for an A, just a passing grade. As I prayed the scripture from D&C came to mind. “I, the Lord, am bound when ye do what I say.” The best part of my situation was that I had done what the lord had said, therefore, I qualified for his promise. I finished praying and started on the exam. There were 20 questions and I think I only had to guess on about 20 of them. I finished my educated guesses and walked downstairs to see my score and I stand before you today and testify of the power of prayer. Not only did I pass the test, but it saved my life, my mom would kill me if I failed a class. I know that my prayer to pass was answered because I had kept the Lord’s commandments. I testify to you that for any situation, if you keep the commandments to live worthily of God’s promise, then He will bless you when you call upon Him. Prayer is much more than asking to “nourish and strengthen us,” it is asking the Lord to fulfill his promise because we have lived worthily. Amen.
No comments:
Post a Comment